Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Less is More Week 9

Last week we took our girl (age 5 and 9) on their first big trip to Disneyland in California. The weather was beautiful and we had a great time. It was truly a magical experience for all of us!

However, I missed playing along with all of you at the Less is More challenge. Now I'm back to rainy Washington and ready to play. This week the ladies at Less is More gave us a color challenge to make a clean and simple card with a touch of red.

So many of the cards are black and white with a touch of red and they are very glamorous. Unfortunately, glamorous is just not me. Instead, I thought of using a cupcake with a cherry on top for the touch of red.

Ever since I got my scoring board at Christmas, I've been wanting to use it to make a scored cupcake liner, so this was the perfect opportunity. As I was going through my scrap box I found a piece of paper I had embossed with swirls on my cuttlebug and it struck me that it would make a nice swirly frosting. I put the two together and added a red button with a bit of red embroidery floss for the cherry.



On the first card I lightly sponged the frosting with pink so it would stand out against the white background. I chose not to add a sentiment. On the second card I left the frosting white and added a sentiment on the white strip of paper. It's somewhat hard to see and does look better in real life, although I'm thinking of trying a different ink color just to see.

I would also like to try making one where the frosting is covered in a fine white or pink glitter, but that will require a trip to the craft score. How sparkly and fun would that be for a little girl's birthday card?

Supplies:
Paper: PTI kraft and white for card base, scraps from scrap box
Ink: VersaMagic pixie dust
Stamps: PTI sentiment
Embossing folder: Cuttlebug divine swirl
Other: buttons, embroidery floss
, scoring board

8 comments:

Chrissie said...

This is a really fun card... I do tend to agree that the sentiment may have stood out more is a deeper colour... maybe the red of the cherry!
Glad you had a wonderful time at Disneyland... we can't wait to take our granddaughter to Disneyland Paris.
Enjoy the rest of your week.
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Jenny said...

Great cards, my favourite is the Kraft one as the base just makes the image so clean and crisp. Glitter frosting would look lovely and i'm not a big fan of glitter either!!!
Glad you enjoyed your hols.
Jennie X

A Consuming Passion said...

Both good cards but I love the kraft one too!!!

Susan said...

Well, I love them both...and the way you scored the cupcake paper looks awesome!

Mandi said...

Hi there
what a super cupcake! I love the one on the kraft and yes I have to say I didn't see the sentiment until I read you thought it as too light
It would have been great in the red to match the button!
Thanks so much, see you again
mandi
"Less is More"

Suze Bain said...

These are great, I like that you've used kraft card. The second one is my favourite. x

Sharon said...

Fab card...x

Aileen said...

Both great cards. I can't really pick. I like the embossing you have done on the icing and the cupcake base. Glittery icing would be delish! x